CFP: ESSAYS ON THE EVIL DEAD. Call for chapter contributions to an edited anthology. Abstracts of 400 words may be submitted anytime before September 15, 2016. Chapters of 3000-7000 words will be due January 15, 2017.
Essays on The Evil Dead is an academic anthology, edited by Ron Riekki and Jeffrey A. Sartain, examining the extended legacy of one of the all-time great horror motion pictures. Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, Slant, and a long list of any magazine that makes lists include The Evil Dead as one of the masterpieces of horror cinema. With the 2013 remake of the film, the 2015 debut of the new Ash vs. Evil Dead television series, the musical, and the ongoing comic series, the Evil Dead franchise is more popular than ever, demanding, more than ever, critical examination and explanation for fans and critics alike. One of the top grossing independent films of all time, the original The Evil Dead, made by Michigan natives Sam Raimi, Rob Tapert and Bruce Campbell, sparked a worldwide cult following that has resulted in sequels, remakes, musicals, comic books, conventions, video games, and a wildly successful television series on Starz, now filming its second season. Essays on The Evil Dead gives a variety of theoretical perspectives, including feminist film theory, Marxist film theory, psychoanalytical film theory, materialist theories of adaptation, and more.
The editors seek essays of 3000-7000 words on any aspect of The Evil Dead films and media franchise:
- Film and television studies essays related to The Evil Dead (1981), Evil Dead II (1987), Army of Darkness (1992), Evil Dead (2013), and/or Ash vs. Evil Dead (2015- ) such as horror, comedy, affect, corporeality, embodiment, materiality, gender studies, psychoanalysis, production and distribution, cinematography and technology, history of cinema, independent film, media franchises, sequels, adaptations, long form television, or others.
- Essays about comics and graphic narratives as well as issues related to adaptation that are related to any of the numerous Evil Dead/Army of Darkness comics by a variety of publishers.
- Essays on video games, gaming narratives, and adaptations into games of any of the Evil Dead/Army of Darkness video games.
- Essays related to Evil Dead: The Musical, drama, adaptation, theater and performance studies.
- Essays related to the various toys, miniatures, collectibles, and other material ephemera associated with the Evil Dead franchise.
- The editors are also open to projects with any other emphases that are related to the Evil Dead media franchise.
The anthology is under contract and will be released in 2017. Please submit abstracts of up to 400 words anytime before September 15, 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Completed essays of 3000-7000 words will be due January 15, 2017.