They Live

I'm in the home stretch of my They Live cultography for Wallflower Press / Columbia University Press. It's going to be a long home stretch, but a home stretch is a home stretch ... Cultographies are short, book-length monographs on individual cult films. Authors integrate personal experience and critical analysis with details on production, reception, reputation and appeal. Five have been published so far: The Rocky Horror Picture Show (Jeffrey Weinstock), Donnie Darko (Geoff King), Bad Taste (Jim Barratt), Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story (Glyn Davis), and This is Spinal Tap (Ethen De Siefe). I reviewed Jeffrey's book for Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts a year or two ago and can't rave about it enough. I'm looking very forward to upcoming cultographies on The Evil Dead (Kate Egan), Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (Ian Cooper), and Blade Runner (Matt Hills).

Jonathan Lethem recently put a kink in my Dasein by publishing a monograph on They Live via Soft Skull Press's Deep Focus series. His book is good, but thankfully much different than my project, which is slated to be published in 2012.